Normal Knee Anatomy
It is the ligament connecting your femur (thigh bone) and tibia (shin bone).
What is the function of ACL?
- It provides stability to your knee joint
- It prevents your knee buckling when you walk downstairs.
When it gets injured?
- ACL gets injured when a person is running or jumping and then suddenly slows and changes direction
- It is more commonly seen in contact sports such as football and basketball
Symptoms of ACL Injury
- Patient may feel sudden audible pop or click
- Pain and swelling of the knee joint
- Difficulty in walking, feeling of giving way, and walking downstairs.
What to do immediately after injury?
- Give rest to the joint
- Apply ice pack
- Consult sports medicine specialist
- After clinical examintation ivestigations are performed
- X-ray to rule out fracture
- MRI scan to rule out ligament injuries
Once ACL injury is confirmed what to do next?
- Give rest to the joint by knee brace application
- Local ice pack application for swelling to reduce
- Gradually start knee mobilization to achieve full range of movement by 2-3 weeks time.
- ACL surgery is NOT an EMERGENCY SURGERY.
What is done in ACL surgery?
- Torn ACL ligament is replaced by other muscle tendons and fixed by Endobutton and interference screw.
- Different types of screws used are titanium and bio absorbable screw.
- Advantage of bio screw is, it gets absorbed over a period of time.
Post ACL surgery
- Patient is discharged one day after surgery
- On 1st post op day patient is made to walk with brace and crutches and knee bending is started
- Physiotherapy program is continued for a period of one month under supervision of doctor every week.
When can I return to sports?
- By 6-8 months.