What is Rotator cuff ?
- Its a group of four muscles and their tendons which stabilizes the shoulder joint
What is Rotator Cuff Tear?
- It is tear of one or all four tendons of Rotator cuff
Symptoms of Rotator cuff tear
- Difficulty in moving the shoulder joint
- Shoulder pain
- Pain is more at night
MRI is the Investigation of Choice
What is the mode of treatment?
- Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff repair using anchor screws
When Should I Get Operated?
- If it is a massive tear, it is better to get operated as early as possible because the results are better with early repair and tendon retraction and degeneration of tendon is also less.
- If it’s a partial thickness tear there are 40% chances of it getting converted to full thickness tear. So if pain persists, then its better to undergo surgery
How Many Screws are Required?
- It depends on the type of tear and the technique of repair.
- If repair is by single row method- 2 anchor screws are required.
- If repair is done by double row method 3 screws are required and the cost varies accordingly.
How long should I rest after surgery?
- Up to two weeks after surgery arm is immobilized in arm pouch.
- After two weeks arm is gradually mobilized with assistance.
- Active lifting of the arm is possible at the end of six weeks.